8 oz small size rice noodles
3 tablespoon tomato sauce or- tamarind paste
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon pickled radish
3 tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup water or chicken stock
3 tablespoon fish sauce
1/2 lb shrimp, cleaned and shelled
1 handful bean sprouts (fresh) - chop; ped once or twice
2 oz green onions - cut into 1/2 inch pi; eces
2 tablespoon finely chopped peanuts
1. Soak the rice noodles in cold tap water about 20 minutes, until they are "springy". Then drain in a colander until needed.
2. If using dried tamarind, soak the tamarind in hot water for awhile, then mash with a fork to soften. Force as much of the mixture as you can through a seive to remove bits of bark, etc.
3. Heat oil in wok, and add the tamarind/tomato sauce, picked radish, and sugar. Mix well and let heat up.
4. Add the noodles, small portions at a time, and and that water/stock. Mix well until all the noodles are coated with the mixture. Add more liquid if necessary -- it will cook out. Don't be easy on the noodles ~- chop them with the spatula or spoon some to separate them. It may help to "toss" the noodles like a salad, to get them coated.
5. Beat the egg and mix with the noodles. Add the fish sauce and shrimp. Mix everything thoroughly. The noodles will tend to "clump", so stir or "toss" like a salad to get everything mixed, and to ensure that the egg and shrimp cook thoroughly. It will help to cover the wok with a lid for a minute or so, then toss the mixture, then cover again. You'll know it's done when the shrimp are completely pink. There may be a little browning of the noodles; stirring will keep them from burning.
6. Add the bean sprouts, green onions, and chopped peanuts. Mix well, then turn off the heat and let stand a minute or so. Serve.
|You need the BEST Dedicated or Virtual SERVER for LESS money? Just click here|