1 pkg active dry yeast
1 pinch sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 cup warm milk
4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour or the; reabouts
2 tablespoon unsalted butter, for brushing dough
3 tablespoon vanilla powdered sugar or powdered; sugar
1 1/2 cup dry cottage cheese or ricotta
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon sour cream or creme fraiche
1 1/2 tablespoon flour
1 lemon, zest only
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoon currants, plunged in
2 tablespoon rum or cognac for 1/2 hour
1. Sprinkle yeast and sugar over warm water in a small bowl and stir to dissolve. Let stand until foamy, about 10 mintes.
2. In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, salt, vanilla, almond, milk, eggs, and 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth with a whisk. Add yeast mixture. Beat 3 minutes or until smooth. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time with a wooden spoon until a soft dough has formed.
3. Turn dough out onto a lighly floured surface and knead until smooth and silky, about 5 minutes. Be sure dough remains soft. Place in a greased bowl, turn once to grease top, and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm area until until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours. Meanwhile combine filling ingredients in a bowl, beat until creamy.
4. Gently deflate dough, turn out onto a lightly floured board and roll or pat into a 10 x 12 inch rectangle. Brush with melted butter. Spread with filling, leaving a 1/2 inch border all around the dough. Roll up jelly roll fashion and pinch seams. Holding one end, twist dough about 6 to 8 times to make a rope. Form into a flat coil and place in a well-greased 10 to 12 cup Kugelhupf mold or tube pan. Pinch ends together and adjust dough to lie evenly in the pan, no more than 2/3 full. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise till even with the top of the pan, about 45 minutes.
5. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean. There will be a hollow sound when tapped. Let stand for 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer from baking pan to a rack to cool completely. Let stand 4 hours or overnight, wrapped in plastic before slicing.
6. Dust with powdered sugar or drizzle powdered sugar glaze.
|You need the BEST Dedicated or Virtual SERVER for LESS money? Just click here|