6 oz sliced lean ham (smoked or boiled)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces) -; - grated
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 lb fettucine or other broad noodles
1 pkg 10 oz frozen peas -- thawed
1. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot.
2. Meanwhile, keeping the ham slices in a stack, cut the ham into 1/2-inch wide strips. Cut the carrots into very thin (1/8-inch) rounds.
3. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, Parmesan and pepper together.
4. Add the fettucine to the boiling water and cook until almost done, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the carrots and peas and cook the pasta and vegetables for 2 minutes longer, or until the pasta is al dente and the carrots are crisp tender.
5. Place a colander over a large heatproof serving bowl. Drain the pasta and vegetables into the colander, letting the boiling water heat the bowl. Pour the water out of the bowl and add the drained hot pasta and vegetables. Immediately pour the beaten egg mixture over the hot pasta and toss to cook the eggs and coat the pasta.
6. Add the ham and toss. Serve hot.
Time-Savers Do-ahead: The ham and carrots can be prepared ahead.
Microwave tip: The peas can be thawed in the microwave.
Substitution: If you use fresh fettucine, you can cut the cooking time by as much as 10 minutes. Add the pasta, peas and carrots at the same time and cook until the pasta is al dente and the carrots are crisp tender, 2 to 3 minutes. If you use fresh noodles that are thinner than fettucine, they will cook more quickly, so add the peas and carrots first and let them cook for about 1 minute before adding the pasta.
|You need the BEST Dedicated or Virtual SERVER for LESS money? Just click here|