2 1/2 lb Pork hocks or oxtail,
-cut into 2" lengths
1/2 lb Stewing beef (optional
-to make a meatier dish)
1 1/2 ts Salt
2 tb Cooking oil
2 Cloves garlic, minced
1 md Onion, sliced
1/2 c Achute water (optional)
3 tb Peanut butter
2 tb Toasted powdered rice or
1/2 lb Green beans
1 md Eggplant, cut into 8 pieces
1. Place hocks or oxtail pieces in a large pot. Add enough water to
cover. Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until
2. If using achute water, soak 1 tablespoon of achute seeds in water for
30 minutes. Squeeze seeds between your thumb and finger tips until the
water turns red. Strain and set red water aside. OR Heat 2 tablespoons oil,
saute achute seeds in oil until oil turns red, discard seeds. Use oil for
sauteing rest of ingredients.
3. Heat oil in a skillet and saute garlic and onions. Add cooked meat and
2 cups of the broth. (Save the rest of the broth for other uses.) Add salt
and achute water. Simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Stir in peanut butter and toasted rice powder, bring back to simmer
cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
5. Add green beans and eggplant. Cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are
tender, stirring occasionally. Correct the seasonings.
6. Serve with hot rice and bagoong, plain or sauteed.
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 2 hours Serves: 4-6
Recipes by Dennis Santiago, TWS bbs (1-310-676-0492), formatted by Manny
|You need the BEST Dedicated or Virtual SERVER for LESS money? Just click here|